What about Resident Permit and Post Study employment possibilities in MALTA?

Updated: Jul 5, 2021

The most frequently asked questions that international students have before coming to study in Malta are based on residence status and the possibility of working in the country after graduation. Study First Europe is here to help with some facts to answer questions which you might have too.

International students from EU states and Commonwealth nations do not require a visa to enter Malta for a period of fewer than 90 days, however, if you come from a Non-EU state, you will definitely need an entry visa. International students from Non-EU states must apply for a temporary residence permit and EU member state students must notify the local

authorities of the duration of their stay.

The temporary residence permit, which is renewable every year, allows you to reside in the country for the duration of your studies and grants you the opportunity to travel freely within the Schengen area as long as you are duly registered as a student on the island. Study First Europe is here to help you with all of the procedures every step of the way.

If you need to apply for a residence permit, you should contact the Expatriates Unit at Identity Malta. Identity Malta will accept submissions only via email at noneu.ima@gov.mt. Study First Europe will assist you in your application and once Identity Malta has accepted your application, you will be asked to visit Identity Malta in person to submit your original documents. Residence applications can take anything from one to several months, so if you plan to travel outside of Malta before the issue of your permit, make sure that you return to Identity Malta to get your passport stamped so you can re-enter the country.

International students from EU member states may travel freely, however, you must still notify Identity Malta if you are going to reside and study in Malta for more than three months.